Lata does NOT sing for Madhubala!
Here are some songs by various singers (NOT Lata Mangeshkar, who almost always sang for Madhubala) It is said that Madhubala once declared “Only Lata will sing for me”, but that didn’t always work…….
1. Thandi Hawa Kali Ghata by Geeta Dutt, Mr. and Mrs. 55 (1955)
Three cheers for vivacious Geeta Dutt!
2. Haal Kaisa Hai Janab Kaby Asha Bhonsle and Kishore Kumar (who is also on screen!)
What a lively performance, in both acting and singing!
3. Paapi Duniya Se Door By Shamshad Begum! In Rail Ka Dibba (1953) Also a very young Shammi Kapoor on screen.
Never would have imagined such a combination! But its really great, such jolly acting by Madhubala and equally lively and melodious singing by Shamshad Begum, thanks to music director Ghulam Mohammed. Also, my, what a young Shammi Kapoor!
4. Kal Jamuna Tat Par by Rajkumari in Neel Kamal (1947), first film for both Madhubala and Raj Kapoor to get lead roles
Madhubala is 13 years old here! Rajkumari is of course extremely melodious.
5. Dil Aane Ke Dhang Nirale Hain in Singar (1949) by Surinder Kaur
Another great combination with the “Nightingale of Punjab” singing melodiously. Also Amir Bano is on screen. The film was the only film starring Madhubala and Suraiya together.
6. Ek Teer Chala by Rajkumari in Mahal (1949)
All other songs on Madhubala in this film were by Lata, including the famous “Aayega Aanewala”. But Rajkumari is also a pleasure to listen to and makes a great voice for Madhubala
7. Ja Parwane Ja by Hamida Bano and Mukesh in Rajputani (1946)
Another song really worth listening to
8. Pyar Karnewalon Ke by Sitara Kaunpuri in Apradhi (1949)
Sitara is a true pleasure listening to and 16 year old Madhubala is very sweet.
Perhaps the most surprising video:
9. Hum Ko Hai Pyari Hamari Galiya by Madhubala herself, as Baby Mumtaz! Her first film, Basant (1942)
Madhubala sings well, actually and she is really a pleasure to watch and hear. The song was also sung by the first playback singer, Parul Ghosh later. Madhubala was the daughter and Ulhas and Mumtaz Shanti (leading pair) were her parents.