A tribute to Madam Kalyanibai Ji
Among vintage film singers, I don’t think Madam Kalyanibai is so well known as many others, but her voice is a very weighty and sweet one and one of the most powerful voices in Hindi films. Probably her most famous song was “Aahein Na Bhari” with Zohrabai Ambalewali and Noor Jehan in Zeenat (1945), the first female and first famous Qawwali with many debuters.
Her most famous works are from Noor Jehan starring blockbuster Zeenat (1945), under music directors Hafiz Ali Khan and Meer Sahab. In Zeenat she sang with some top female singers of the 40s. Enjoy all these fabulous voices!
1. Aahein Na Bhari with Zohrabai Ambalewali and Noor Jehan. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kalyanibai is one of the women here!
2. Sakhi Aaya Sawan Aaya with Zohrabai Ambalewali and Amirbai Karnataki
3. Dulhan Ban Jao with Zohrabai Ambalewali
4. Sharabi Soch Na Kar with Pankaj Mullick in Mukti (1937)
NOTE THAT THE LADY IN THE DARK-COLOURED SARI IS MADAM KALYANIBAI AS THEN THERE WAS NO PLAYBACK SINGING
5. Hum Mast Dilon Ko Lekar Masti Mein Chali Motor with Shamshad Begum and Hafiz Ali Khan Mastana, picturised on Rehana, Nigar Sultana, Roopkamal and others
6. Balam Main Solah Baras Ki Naar in Parda (1949), picturised on dancers
7. Idhar Dekhte Hain with Amirbai Karnataki and others in Parda (1949), picturised on Rehana and others
Kalyanibai Ji has an immortal voice. I hope this post helps her get present recognition. More songs by the legend shall be uploaded soon.