A (and the only) Noor Jehan – Nazir starrer, a blockbuster, a great musical with an interesting storyline, and fantastic cast of acting and singing – that’s what Village Girl was. Music by the great Shyam Sundar and direction by M Amarnath. Cast included Nazir, Noor Jehan – leading pair, Durga Khote - hero’s mother, Rama Shukul – villain, with Shanta Patel, Geeta Nizami, Rajkumari Shukla(not the great playback singer, this is an actress usually playing mother roles), Jagdish Sethi, Anant Marathe, Bikram Kapoor playing side roles. I really treasure all the songs. The film launched Madam Noor Jehan to great heights. It also has a great Qawwali (scroll below to it for a surprise!)
1. Sajan Pardesi Balam Pardesi by Madam Noor Jehan on herself
2. Main Kheton Ka Panchi, Mere Pankh Nirale by Noor Jehan on herself
3. Rut Aayi Suhani Hai by Noor Jehan singing for herself and G M Durrani singing for Nazir
4. Saiyan Salone Se Nain Milake by Madam Amirbai Karanataki, picturised on Geeta Nizami’s lovely dance
5. Kis Tarha Bhoolega Dil by Noor Jehan on herself
This song was recorded in Zohrabai’s voice too but finally the Noor Jehan version was chosen
6. Ye Kaun Hansa, Kisne Sitaron Ko Hansaya – Noor Jehan on herself
7. Baithi Hoon Teri Yaad Ka Lekarke Sahara by Noor Jehan, singing for herself
8. Bansi Ki Madhur Dhun Se Mere Bhag Jaga De, Amirbai on Durga Khote. Jagdish Sethi, Bikram Kapoor and Anant Marathe are among the chorus
9. O Pardesi Raja, Koyal Kook Rahi Aaja by Madam Shanta Patel on herself, Madam Amirbai and Madam Rajkumari on others. In this upload the song is thrice back-to-back
10. Jai Jai Radhe Shyam Bolo by Durga Khote, Jagdish Sethi and others on themselves. This is a short Bhajan and actually cannot be considered as a song.
11. Aji Dil Ho Qaboo Mein To by Mohammed Rafi on Nazir and G M Durrani on Bikram Kapoor and others. Mohammed Rafi considers this his first Hindi film song, although he sang before in Pehle Aap (1944)
12. Hum Hindustan Ki Khatir by G M Durrani on Nazir and chorus on others
13. Tune Dekha Ik Nazar Aur Dil Ka Chaska Kar Diya by Madam Kalyani, Madam Amirbai on Rehana and others, Madam Zohrabai on herself (!!!!) and others, and Madam Rajkumari
Here’s a great chance to see Zohrabai. In the third stanza you can see her behind singing for a girl in the front.
Hope you liked it.